Saturday, November 20, 2010

Reindeer Games

Reindeer.
I admit to not really knowing very much about reindeer. I know they are animals with antlers, and they are a deer. Most of what I know about reindeer is based on Santa's team. On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer and Vixen, on Comet, on Cupid, on Donner and Blitzen. And of course, let us not forget the most famous reindeer of all...Rudolph the red nosed reindeer! That's about it when it comes to my knowledge of reindeer. Except of course, if I add in the fact that when I was a child, I did indeed see the red glow of Rudolph's nose in the snowy Christmas eve sky while I had my nose pressed against the glass of my bedroom window, waiting for Santa and the team. Oh, and of course, I am sure reindeer love apples and carrots and sugar cubes. I know this because I left those treats for the reindeer along with the plate of home made cookies and bottle of soda pop for Santa Claus. Perhaps this is all the information I ever really need to know concerning reindeer. After all, I don't intend on becoming an elf any time soon!
Do you have a favorite reindeer? When I was younger, Rudolph was my favorite reindeer. After all, he saved Christmas many years. How else could the reindeer find my house in all that snow if not for Rudolph's nose? Now that I'm older (nevermind just HOW old) I have come to like Blitzen. I think it's because of his name and a design I created a couple years ago. Blitzen Gets Blitzed! There are a lot of people walking around with those T-shirts!
My grandchildren, on Christmas eve, go outdoors into the yard and sprinkle reindeer food for the reindeer. This reindeer food consists mostly of dry oatmeal but has a fair amount of glitter in it. I guess the idea is that it will shine so the reindeer can find it. I'm not sure if Santa likes his reindeer eating glitter but they do seem to like it as it's gone in the morning. Then again, the reindeer probably don't care if Santa doesn't like it, and being that Santa himself eats about 100,000 cookies that night, he can't very well say too much about his reindeer eating glitter now can he?
I wish in a way that when I was a child we had the internet. Kids now can track Santa's whereabouts so they know precisely when it's time to get in bed, shut their eyes, and not get caught awake when Santa arrives. As a child, this was a rather big fear of mine as I was told (and I'm still not sure if this is true or not) that if Santa comes and you are still awake, he won't leave you anything. So I found myself going to sleep soon after dark on Christmas eve just to make sure I'd be safe from such a horror! And it's a good thing I did because there was many a Christmas eve when just as I was falling into a deep sleep I could hear the jingle, jingle, jingle of the sleigh bells.
If you're a kid or a kid at heart, and you still love the magic of Christmas, and Santa's reindeer, you'll love these reindeer T-shirts, shoes, ornaments, and more!
















No comments: